Preparing to Enter Japan: Essential To-do List
Below is a basic check-list for what you need to do before you leave your country of origin. If you are starting your preparations, use this list as your guideline; if you have finished your preparation, please double-check if there is anything you have left out!
- Check about the cost of living for Japan.
> A summary of expenses for international students
- Check about the required documents to apply for Status of Residence and a Visa.
> Visa and Status of Residence
- Apply for a Visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate.
- Check with your University department’s contact person whether you need to find your own lodgings in Sendai.
- Confirm your lodgings in Sendai.
> Finding Accommodation
- Check up on insurance.
- Prepare a credit card. You need one to contract a mobile phone, etc.
- Book your flight.
- Check access from your port of entry to your final destination.
- Inform your University contact of your desired date for moving in to your accommodations, reserving a hotel if necessary.
- Pack your Certificate of Eligibility in your carry-on baggage.
> Packing Your Luggage
- Undergo allergy testing before your arrival.
Pocket Guide for International Students and Scholars
This Pocket Guide is designed for international students and staff who are planning to come to Japan. It provides brief information necessary for arriving to Sendai, such as including pre-arrival preparation and transportation in Japan. (Last updated: June 28, 2019)