Student Insurance

Required Insurance for All Tohoku University International Students

All Tohoku University international students are required to enroll in both of the following types of insurance. You can get application forms at your department office.

1. Personal Accident Insurance for Student Pursuing Education and Research “GAKKENSAI”

This is an accident compensation insurance covering unforeseen disasters and accidents during regular curricular activities, school events, extracurricular (club) activities, and while on the university premises. Please note that illness and natural disasters such as earthquakes are not covered by this insurance. You can see the guide in multiple languages at the bottom of the webpage below.

・Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Coupled with “GAKKENSAI” for International Students (“Inbound futai-gakuso”)

This is a comprehensive insurance policy covering liability, injury, illness, rescuer expenses, death and residual disability. Only students who are enrolled in ”GAKKENSAI” are eligible for this insurance.
For further details, please see the following materials

Voluntary Insurance

Students are advised to enroll in the following types of optional insurance if necessary.

1. Personal Liability Insurance for Students (Tohoku Univ. Co-op Insurance,”Gakusei Baisho Sekinin Hoken”)

Enrollment in Univ. Co-op insurances requires membership in the Univ. Co-op. The Co-op membership fee will be refunded when you leave the university. This is a liability insurance covering personal injury and property damage in daily life (including official lectures, events, and training). For further details, please see the link below (Information about this insurance is on page 5).

For inquiries:
Mutual Insurance Center (Kyosai Hoken Center), Tohoku Univ. Co-op
Located in Welfare Facilities on Kawauchi-kita Campus

2. Personal Liability Insurance for students “GAKKENBAI”

This insurance covers the liability for injuring others or damaging their property during regular curricular, internship, and volunteer activities, and school events, or commuting to and from them. For further details, please see the link below. You can get application forms at your department office.