Once you have decided to stay in Tohoku University, please check which visa/status of residence you need to obtain by the following chart.
Visa and the Status of Residence Identification Chart
For the status of Student, Professor, and Cultural Activities, you must first apply for a Certificate of Eligibility. The following are examples of each status of residence.
- International students whose period of stay is longer than 90 days
- Researchers who receive salary/remuneration from Tohoku University
- Researchers whose necessary expenses are paid by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- Researchers whose period of stay is longer than 90 days and who are not paid for their activities.
Dependent (Family stays)
- The spouse and children of an international student/researcher whose period of stay is longer than 90 days
Researchers who do not receive salary/compensation from Tohoku University and international students, and whose period of stay is within 90 days are required to apply for a Short-Term Stay visa.
You do not need to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a Short-Term Stay visa.
Please refer to the following page for more information on how to apply for a Short-Term Stay visa.