Japan Post offices handle not only mail, but also banking, insurance and other services.
Postage stamps are available at post offices, convenience stores, and shops marked with“ 〒” signs.
Domestic Mail Service
International Mail Service
(Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese)
Japan Post – Practical Guide for International Student
(Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean)
Japan Post Service (Customer Service Center)
Tel: 0570-046-111(For English Inquiries)
If Calling from a mobile phone: 0570-046-666
Mon-Fri, 8:00-22:00; Sat, Sun, Holidays, 9:00-22:00
Home Delivery Services (Takuhaibin)
Domestic Door-to-Door Delivery Services (Takuhaibin)
This service is useful for sending small parcels or packages within Japan. It is often less expensive than the post office and usually takes only one day. Most companies deliver suitcases between airports and homes before and after a trip, and handle special refrigerated and frozen deliveries.
Listed below are the major domestic home delivery service companies.
Contact Information for Inquires
|Yamato Takkyubin||Tel: 0120-01-9625（Japanese only）, 8:00-21:00|
Mon-Fri 8:00-22:00; Sat, Sun, Holidays, 9:00-22:00
|Sagawa Express||Tel: 0120-18-9595 （sgx Contact Center）|
Mon-Fri, 9:00-19:00; Sat, 9:00-18:00
International Courier Services
These companies provide expedited overseas delivery services, and take full responsibility for your packages until their final delivery.
Listed below are the major international courier service companies.
Contact Information for Inquires
|DHL Japan||Tel: 0120-39-2580|
Mon-Thu, 8:00-19:00; Fri &Previous days to Holidays, 8:00-20:00;
Sat & Holidays, 8:30-14:00
|Federal Express（FedEx）||Tel: 0120-003200|
Mon-Fri, 8:00-20:00; Sat, 8:30-17:30; Holidays, 9:00-18:00
|Overseas Courier Service (OCS)||Tel: 0120-627-012|
Mon-Thu, 8:30-19:00; Fri & Previous days to Holidays, 8:30-20:00;
|UPS Japan||Tel: 0120-27-1040|
Attempted Delivery Notice and Re-delivery Request
If the intended recipient is absent at the time of attempted delivery, the carrier will leave an “attempted delivery” notice. Check the content of the delivery notice and request for re-delivery as needed.
Refer the below for example of Attempted Delivery Notice:
The Japan Post offers mail forwarding services where they forward your mail sent to your old address to another address in Japan free of charge for up to one year. Kindly take note that this service is limitted to addresses in Japan, and JP will not forward your mails to an overseas address.
You can request for this service in 2 ways:
- Vist your nearest post office (bring your residence card with you)
- Request a “Relocation Form” (Tenkyo todoke / 転居届)
- Complete the form and hand it to the person over the counter
- You will be given a receipt for your personal record
- The forwarding service will begin as per the date indicated on the form
- Go to JP Official Mail Forwarding Page (*application site only in Japanese)
- Register for Yubin ID
- Login and complete the application by filling out the form online
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIREMENT
- Requires ID verification (you will be required to take a snapshot of either your MyNumber card, Zairyu card of Japanese driving license).
- Surname must be 20 characters or less
- You know how to type your name in Katakana
- You know how to type your address in Japanese
- You have a Japanese phone number (starts with 070, 080, or 090)