Overseas Travel Insurance

If you plan to stay in Japan for less than 3 months, we recommend that you arrange overseas travel insurance before your departure.
In most cases, you cannot secure overseas travel insurance after you arrive in Japan.

National Health Insurance

If you enter Japan with “Student” as your Status of Residence, and intend to stay in Japan for more than 3 months, you will be required to enter the National Health Insurance system. You can register for the insurance system when you undergo registration at your Ward office.

If you are to be employed by Tohoku University as a full-time faculty member, you are required to join the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association. Part-time faculty members are required to join Social Insurance. You can take procedures for either of these programs at your faculty administration.

Those whose Status of Residence is “Professor,” or one engaged in “Cultural Activities” or a “Dependent,” with permission to stay in Japan for more than 3 months from time of landing, must enter the National Health Insurance system if not entering either Social Insurance or the MEXT Mutual Aid.

Useful Resources