Procedures for newly entering Japan
The Japanese government will permit international students newly coming to Japan to enter the country starting March 1, 2022.
Tohoku University will be accountable for your actions during the immigration procedures. We ask that you please cooperate with the university in following all government-mandated disease prevention measures to the letter. Any violations will result not only in bad publicity for the university, but may cause future international students to be barred from entering Japan.
Therefore, Tohoku University requires international students who wish to come to Japan to consent to the below conditions.
If you wish to come to Japan, please confer with your academic advisor and department, then complete the Student Entry Application contained in the Predeparture Instructions.
If you have reapplied for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), please obtain the new COE before applying to come to Japan.
Conditions for Entering Japan (Updated on June 1, 2022)
- You agree to bear travel expenses*1*2.
- You agree to comply with the terms of the Written Pledge that you will submit to the quarantine office upon arrival.
- You agree to use the online travel application system of the university-approved travel agency.*3
- If quarantine is required, you agree to stay at a hotel (near Narita Airport) designated by the travel agency during the quarantine period*4. You may not stay elsewhere (with a friend etc.).
- You agree to enroll in health insurance arranged by the university.
- You agree to use Fast Track and the Visit Japan Web service. You also agree to bring your smartphone upon entering Japan.*5
- You agree to arrive in Japan between Monday and Thursday if possible to avoid peak travel days.
*1 Cost of flight to Japan, travel expenses within Japan, food/daily necessities during the quarantine period.
*2 If you have accompanying family members, you are responsible for ALL expenses related to their entry to Japan.
*3 The university and JTB will support your entry to Japan based on the information you have registered in the online travel application system.
*4 You are not allowed to go out during the quarantine period.
*5 With these two online services, you can complete some entrance and quarantine procedures before entering Japan. JTB will later provide instructions on how to use them.
Fast Track (MHLW)
Visit Japan Web (Digital Agency)
Government quarantine policies differ depending on the country/region from which you are arriving. Also, the policies may change at any time. Please check the latest information and coordinate with the university and travel agency while making preparations to ensure you are in compliance with government policies. For information on the new border control policies, see the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) website.
Predeparture Instructions (Updated on August 31, 2022)
The following is a summary of the predeparture instructions. For details, please refer to the guidance sent by your academic advisor or the contact person at your department.
1. Permission to Travel to Japan
Confer with your academic advisor and department to receive permission to come to Japan.
2. Apply to Travel to Japan
Prepare the following documents and complete the Student Entry Application form. You will be informed of the URL by your academic advisor or the contact person at your department.
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Confirmation form for the use of Fast Track and the Visit Japan Web service (If you did not submit this form at the time of COE application) *
* Those who submitted the confirmation form upon COE application (those whose COE has “2022” in the upper right corner) are not required to submit the form.
3. Certificate for Completion of Registration to the ERFS System
Tohoku University will register you with the Entrants Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS). You will receive
the below documents by email.
- Certificate for Completion of Registration to the ERFS System (ERFS Certificate)
- Application to continue using your COE for the activities stated at the time it was originally issued (if your COE was issued 3 or more months ago)
- Confirmation form for the use of Fast Track and the Visit Japan Web service (for hosting organizations) (If you did not submit a confirmation form at the time of COE application)
We will also send you the URL of the online travel application system of the university-approved travel agency, and information on other necessary procedures for your travel.
4. Visa Application/Online System Registration
Once you have received the ERFS Certificate, use it to apply for a visa at the nearest Japanese mission/embassy. Documents required for the application vary depending on the mission/embassy. Please inquire in advance at the location where you plan to apply.
Please complete a new registration with the online travel application system of the university-approved travel agency. Details on how to do this will be provided when we send you the ERFS Certificate.
* Confirmation form for the use of Fast Track and the Visit Japan Web service
Those who submitted the confirmation forms upon COE application (those whose COE has “2022” in the upper right corner) are not required to submit the forms at the time of visa application.
5. COVID-19 Test 72 Hours before Departure
A “Certificate of Testing for COVID-19” issued within 72 hours before your departure is necessary to enter Japan. There are requirements for the testing method, and format of the certificate. Please carefully read the information on the website below, undergo the test, and obtain a certificate in the required format.
*After September 7, 2002, all foreigners entering Japan who have a valid vaccination certificate will not be required to submit a “Certificate of Testing for COVID-19” issued within 72 hours before your departure. If you wish to be exempted from the pre-departure test, please make sure that your vaccination certificate corresponds to the “valid vaccination certificate” as defined by the Japanese government.
6. Fast Track and Visit Japan Web
Please complete the Fast Track procedures and the Visit Japan Web registration before departure. The travel agency will later provide instructions on how to use them.
Detailed departure/post-arrival instructions will be provided by the university-approved travel agency before your departure.
Messages from Tohoku University
Announcement of easing border measures by Japanese government (Feb 18, 2022)
The Japanese government has announced easing its border measures for new-entry foreign nationals from March.
In addition to raising the daily entrants cap to 5,000, the government will reduce the quarantine period from seven days to three days or waive the quarantine if entrants meet specific requirements.
To ensure your smooth and safe arrival in Japan, Tohoku University will swiftly take necessary actions, closely working with relevant authorities.
The border measures and restrictions are continually changing, and the government may tighten them again if the infection status becomes worse. We will keep you updated with the latest information on this page.
- Message from the MEXT Minister regarding international students’ entry into Japan based on the new border measures
- Message from President of JANU “Dear international students awaiting entry into Japan and thinking of studying in Japan”
- Study in Japan Special Box | JV-Campus
Other messages from Tohoku University
- Feb 16, 2022 To international students awaiting entry to Japan | GLC
- Jan 1, 2022 To international students awaiting entry to Japan | GLC
For those re-entering Japan
Travel agent for re-entry to Japan
The Japanese government requires people who are entering Japan to implement various measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection, including PCR tests and self-isolation. Also, there are many details requiring caution when arranging transportation for entry to Japan and accommodation for voluntary isolation. It is not easy to carry out the necessary procedures from abroad.
Therefore, we introduce JTB’s travel arrangement service so that your entry can proceed smoothly. Please contact JTB directly after carefully reading the flyer below and understanding the details. This service is provided at your own risk/expense.
Information on travel agent (PDF)(temporarily unavailable)
Upon entering Japan, you must have a smartphone that has been installed with designated apps like a video calling app and a contact confirmation app.
If you do not have a smartphone or you cannot install the designated apps on your smartphone, you will be required to rent a smartphone in the quarantine area.
You can find information in multiple languages at the bottom of the webpage below.
If you wish to rent a smartphone or a mobile Wi-Fi router after the self-isolation period, you can use the following rental companies. Please see the flyers/website below and contact the provider directly. Of course, you can rent it from other companies that are not listed here.
– Offering a special plan for international students coming to Japan
– Accepting payments by Alipay and WeChat Pay as well as credit cards
In addition to the above rental services, the company also offers SIM cards for international students that you can sign up for only with your passport. For more details, please see the video below.