Spring 2021 Orientation for Incoming International Students
How To Watch Videos
- The orientation videos for incoming international students are now available at Google Classroom.
- To watch the videos, please make sure that you have your own DC mail address.
- The Class Code is displayed below. If you cannot see the code, please stay signed in to your Google Account with your DC mail address and look at this page again.
- For those of you who have never used Google Classroom before, please refer to the manual (1～5②) below.
Support Groups for International Student
- On and off campus support groups are listed below. Please see the websites for their activities and services.
- Short videos and flyers from the support groups are posted in Google Classroom, so please check them out.
- The activities and services below may be suspended or scaled down due to measures to prevent COVID-19.
- The university may restrict students' extracurricular activities in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection. Please check the extracurricular activities guidelines.
- Tohoku University Co-op
- Tohoku University Co-op is an autonomous association, aimed to provide members with commodities and services that are essential for campus life. It also provides Halal foods on all campuses.
- Miyagi International Association (MIA)
- MIA is an organization that aims to promote internationalization in Miyagi including support services for international students and residents.
- Sendai Tourism Convention and International Association (SenTIA)
- SenTIA operates Sendai Multicultural Center, and it provides useful information for living in multiple languages.
- Group Mori
- Group Mori is a volunteer organization that aims to support international students in their daily lives.
- Tohoku University Foreign Students Association (TUFSA)
- TUFSA mainly consists of international students and offers a place for them to get to know each other.
- @home is a group that connects international and Japanese students each other through events.
- Persatuan Pelajar Indonesia Sendai (PPIS)
- PPIS is a support group by international students from Indonesia.
- Tohoku University International Department of SCRUM (IDeS)
- SCRUM conducts volunteer not only in the Tohoku area but also other areas in Japan.
- Tohoku University Muslim Cultural Association (TUMCA)
- TUMCA is a support groups to show true face of Islamic culture.
- Tohoku University STEM Student Network (TUSTEM)
- TUSTEM is an international exchange group to foster mutual exchange between Japanese and international students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate STEM curricula.
- Global Learning Center
- GLC plays a pivotal role in the establishment and execution of Tohoku University's education internationalization strategy. The center also provides various information including scholarship and events for international students.
- International Student Help Desk
- Senior TU students assist you with everyday life. You can also watch videos on Google Classroom covering various topics like typhoon preparedness, garbage disposal, clubs and circles, campus tour movies.
- Center for Learning Support
- The Center provides various kinds of support for international students including Japanese conversation practice, assistance with writing reports and papers in Japanese.
- Tohoku University Library
- Tohoku University has various libraries on different campuses. At the University Library, there is a Concierge Service that international student staff provide support in multiple languages.
- Center for Career Support
- The Center provides seminars and counseling to assist you with post-graduation career-building.
- Student Health Care Center
- The Student Health Care Center offers a variety of consultations and services concerning health.
- Center for Counseling and Disability Services
- The center offers appropriate counseling to university students about problems in their student lives. It also provides information and advice on disabitily issues and facilities support for students.
- Japanese Language Education Program
- The program is provided free of charge to international students and scholars. We highly recommend that you take them to gain a deeper understanding of the culture and the country.
Safety and Crime Prevention
- Tohoku University Safety Confirmation System (PDF)
- Campus Life Safety/Security Guide (PDF)
- Traffic Safety Guidelines for Pedestrians and Cyclists (PDF)
- Illegal drugs warning (PDF)
- Software Usage (PDF)
Medical Care and Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research "GAKKENSAI"
- Comprehensive Insurance for Students Lives Coupled with "GAKKENSAI" for International Students ("Inbound futai-gakuso") (PDF)
- Sendai Hospitals and Clinics services available in foreign languages | SenTIA (PDF)