Preparing to Enter Japan: Essential To-do List
Below is a basic check-list for what you need to do before you leave your country of origin. If you are starting your preparations, use this list as your guideline; if you have finished your preparation, please double-check if there is anything you have left out!
- Check about the required documents to apply for Status of Residence and a Visa. (see here to check)
- Apply for a Visa at the Japanese embassy or consulate.
- Check with your University department's contact person whether you need to find your own lodgings in Sendai.
- Confirm your lodgings in Sendai.
- Check up on insurance.
- Prepare a credit card (VISA, Master Card, American Express, etc.).(You need one to contract a mobile phone.）
- Book your flight.
- Check access from your port of entry to your final destination.
- Inform your University contact of your desired date for moving in to your accommodations, reserving a hotel if necessary.
- Pack your Certificate of Eligibility in your carry-on baggage.
- Undergo allergy testing before your arrival.