Home > Life in Sendai > Education / Childcare

Education / Childcare

We recommend you ask someone who understands Japanese to accompany you when enrolling for childcare facilities and schools.

Compulsory Education

In Japan children must attend nine years of compulsory education: six years of elementary school and three years of middle school. Children begin elementary after turning six years old. The school year begins in April and ends in March.

Elementary & Middle School

If you wish to send your child to a public elementary or middle school, you must register with the Sendai-shi Kyoiku Iinkai Gakujika (Sendai City Board of Education, Educational Affairs Division). Which school your child will attend depends on where you live. There are no tuition fees, but you will be billed for school lunches and educational materials.

Sendai City Board of Education (*Machine-translation)

Enrollment procedures for public elementary & middle schools (external site) (*Machine-translation)

*Notification "Machine-translation" pages are translated by J-SERVER Professional, a web-based machine translation system, operated by Kodensha Co., Ltd.Note that the machine translation system doesn't guarantee 100% correctness. Some words and phrases may not be translated correctly. (Reprinted from Sendai City website.)

Information on Nearby Elementary Schools

Those living in Tohoku University International House or the Sanjo dormitory for university employees usually send their children to Sendai Kunimi Elementary School.This school offers an international class where foreign children can take Japanese language and supplementary classes.

Sendai Kunimi Elementary School Website (Japanese only)

Sendai Hachiman Elementary School offers Japanese classes for children whose native language is not Japanese.

Sendai Hachiman Elementary School Website (Japanese only)

Middle Schools

The city's public middle schools sometimes have volunteers and support staff available to assist students whose native language is not Japanese. Please inquire directly with the relevant school for details.

Support for Foreign Children

Page Top