Home > Life in Sendai > Starting a Part-time Job

Starting a Part-time Job

Work Permit

In principle, if your Status of Residence is Student, Dependent or Cultural Activities, you are not permitted to work in Japan. However, if you obtain “Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted,” you can work on a part-time basis, up to 28 hours a week (8 hours a day in spring / summer / winter vacation periods).

Under no condition are you permitted to work in an adult entertainment business, even as kitchen or cleaning staff, or distributing flyers and other promotional materials.

You will be subject to punishment if you work outside of your Permission or Status. Such circumstances will also be a disadvantage if you ever seek to renew your Status of Residence. Even if you have obtained the Permission, any work you do after your Student status has expired will also be subject to penalties extending to deportation. Please be aware of the expiration date for your Permission. Work done as a teaching assistant, research assistant or Science Angel at Tohoku University is exempt from this permission.

To apply for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted Under the Status of Residence, please refer not only to the following website but also "Procedures while Staying" "About Work Permission for Part-time Jobs".

Immigration Bureau website

Page Top