Home > Housing and Hotels > Accommodation Insurance

Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan, and the Tohoku University Housing Rent Joint Guarantor System

Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan "RYUHOSHO"

This insurance, which we call "RYUHOSHO", is provided for students who live in private apartments; it protects them against costs of damage to other persons or their properties, caused by fire, water leakage etc. It also insures the joint guarantor* for such costs as those incurred by a tenant’s failure to pay rent in a timely manner, or to leave the room in its original state. In this case, "joint guarantor" is the university and its faculty members.
Entering this insurance policy is understood to relieve any burden, psychological or financial, for your joint guarantor. For detailed information about the insurance, please refer to the home page below.

Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (JEES)

Tohoku University Housing Joint Guarantor System

The Tohoku University Housing Joint Guarantor System is available only to students already enrolled in RYUHOSHO. Under this system the Tohoku University International Students Support Association acts as the joint guarantor on the student's lease. The term of guarantee is effective only while the student is enrolled at Tohoku University.
International students (with the residency status of "Student") enrolled, or scheduled to enroll, at Tohoku University are eligible. In addition, they must be:

  • enrolled in RYUHOSHO
  • able to have their academic advisor sign for them
  • able to make monthly rent payments on time

Application documents can be obtained from the relevant staff in your department. The application process takes some time, so you must apply at least one month before you plan to move in.

* Rentaihoshonin (joint guarantor)

A guarantor is someone who is willing to accept the obligation of paying on the student's behalf in case the student is unable to pay. The landlord reserves the right to seek payment from the guarantor if the student does not pay the rent by the due date, or to pay for any uncompensated damage to the room. A joint guarantor must be an "adult who makes an independent living", and therefore must have a stable income. Japanese students living in Japan may ask a parent or relative to be their guarantor, but international students should consult with their academic advisor first. The university also recommends joining the "Comprehensive Renters' Insurance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan".

Page Top